Here’s another creative writing exercise from James Navé’s Writing…From the Imaginative Storm to the Creative Form.
Creative Writing Exercise – You’re the Detective
1. Like a detective at a crime scene, investigate your environment and list 25 things that strike you.
2. Use some or all the things on your list to build a piece of writing.
3. For example…
• Old brown steps lead to the dark basement where bicycles and kayaks hang from hooks.
• Cherry and oak logs burn in the wood stove.
• Ice overhangs on the gutters.
• A dozen small stuffed bears sit on an oak shelf.
Please share your experiences below.
Photo Credit: topfer