“Creativity is not a talent. It is a way of operating.”
Then John Cleese goes about telling you exactly how to operate creatively.
I love, love, love this video. Yes it’s 36 minutes but so very worth watching.
• The importance of play for its own sake.
• Open vs closed modes and how to cultivate open mode as it’s essential for creativity.
• Curiosity for its own sake.
• Setting boundaries of time and space.
• Tolerating the discomfort of sitting with an unsolved problem.
• The value of indecision.
• Any drivel may lead to a breakthrough.
• The importance of humor.
Sound familiar? Yes, Navé and I talk about these things. Julia Cameron talks about these things. Every successful working artist will tell you these things.
…but no one says it like John Cleese.
My recommendation would be to watch this video at least once a week (daily would be even better) until you have internalized the message and are practicing it. It’s that good!
P.S. The “sorting through paper clips” reference is about 15 minutes in.